Friday, April 17, 2009

Custom Explosion Boxes

Well, I was challenged yesterday by one of my customers to create instructions on how to make custom sized explosion boxes. We have a project on our video for The Ultimate Crafter's Companion, but although it goes into detail on how to make the specific explosion box shown it does not detail how exactly to go about creating a custom sized box.

Wow, it's been a long time since I actually had enough time to sit down and do a project with instructions. Some of you are laughing about now because you didn't know that I actually did any crafting... Oh contraire, I really do know a thing or two about what I sell. Here's the finished project.
Well, I'll get right to it with a brief overview... To see the complete project I created you will need to visit the projects section of our website and download the pdf file I've created.

The first step of course was to gather all my supplies before I got started:
The Ultimate Crafter's Companion
4 Sheets of coordinating cardstock
(3 for the box and 1 for the lid)
Paper Trimmer
Wet Glue
Scissors

I was going to create a 3 1/2" cubed box and therefore needed to start with 3 sheets of cardstock, each slightly smaller than the last:

10 1/2" square cardstock for the outside of my box
10 3/8" square cardstock for the second, inside layer of my box
10 1/4" square cardstock for the last and final inside layer of my box

After cutting my stock down to these sizes I then scored the 7th line down on the Box Making portion of my Ultimate Crafter's Companion. Putting my cardstock up against the "Box Lid" side I scored this line on all 4 sides of all 3 sheets of cardstock.


Once I had scored all sides of my paper I then took a pair of scissors and cut out all the the corners using my scored lines as a template. You may also want to trim off an additional 1/8" to 1/4" off the edges of the inside cardstock layers to create a more graduated look. Your stack of paper should now look like this.


You will now just glue all 3 sheets together by applying a bit of wet adhesive in the center of each piece of cardstock. Your box is done!

To make the lid for your box you'll need to visit our website and download the project sheet!
Any other questions, please feel free to send me an email.

No comments: