Saturday, April 9, 2011

Octagon Box Project

Hello everyone... It's Gary, the sales manager for the Crafter's Companion U.S. company. I thought it might be nice to post a box making project for some of our more advanced Ultimate Crafter's Companion users. I've had a lot of requests for some more detailed instructions on making an octagon shaped box, so I thought I'd take an image from our newest release of stamps and some paper from our upcoming Fairyopolis release coming on April 21st and dream something up for all of you.

Since the project is a bit more involved, I am only posting an abbreviated version of the full project that is available for download now on our website in the projects section. It also includes a handy new Octagon Box Blank Template I've created to make the creation of your octagonal boxes quite a bit easier. So you'll want to check out the full project once you are done here!

To begin, I selected a couple sheets of paper from the Fairyopolis 12" x 12" paper pad along with a couple of pearlescent white sheets of cardstock from out pearlescent paper & cardstock packages.
I cut all of the pieces down to 8 inch squares and then attached the printed Fairyopolis paper to my two pieces of pearlescent white cardstock pieces to create a more decorative cardstock in using for my box base and box lid.
I then used the Octagon Box Blank Template I created to shape my lid and base blanks into octagon shaped blanks.


Using my Ultimate Crafter's Companion Tool, I used the box making portion of the board to score the appropriate lines all the way around my box lid and box base pieces, cut along the pencil lines I had created to form each corner and then glued the pieces as necessary to form each piece.


To finish off my box lid I chose a coordinating background paper from my Fairyopolis Triple Disc CD Set and printed this onto a piece of pearlescent white cardstock using my laser printer.  I stamped an image from our new S.w.a.l.k. Collection 3 Best Friends stamp set along with the saying and colored in the image with Copic Markers.

I then used the Octagon Box Blank Template to cut this piece down to a 4 inch octagon shape and cut another piece of pearlescent white cardstock to a 4 1/2 inch octagon to mat my piece. I stuck the whole thing together with Stick & Stay permanent adhesive.

Hope you enjoyed this project and will add a creation of your own to share with us sometime soon!
To download the complete project sheet and template click here.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Pretty cool. thank you for sharing it.

Eileen Bergen said...

Thank you for the tutorial and template. Very clever project. I can't wait to try it.

Bindy Lambell said...

Love the project, I am going to go download the tutorial right now and try it,thanks!!

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Wonderful project, thanks for showing so many photos and details

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Awesome project!!! Thank you for all the details!

Carmi said...

Gary, you can come craft with me anytime! The octagon shape and me do not get along!