Monday, May 30, 2011

Explosion Box Invitations

First let me say Happy Memorial Day to all our service men and women, past and present. We all have tremendous pride for you and if it wasn't for your service to the USA we wouldn't be where we are today. Thank You!!

Hi, This is Bindy and I am going to show you what I made using our new Boxer and Envelobox boards that recently came out. My inspiration came from one of our own Designers with Crafter's Companion and her name is Jinky. The boxes she makes are amazing and gave me the idea to make my daughters wedding shower invitations using an explosion box. I got the pattern from the internet and the one I used was very simple but beautiful.

The bottom of the box is a 7 1/2" X 7 1/2" piece of card stock. The lid of the box is 4 3/8" X 4 3/8" piece of cardstock. On the bottom of the box I scored lines at 2 1/2 " and 5" and then turned the cardstock 1/4 turn and repeated the scoring at 2 1/2" and 5 ". I did both the cutting and the scoring with the the CleverCut 5 in 1 paper trimmer. You then flip the carstock over and in each corner you score a diagonal line from the outer corner point to where the lines intersect towards the center. I did this with the new Envelobox Board by lining up the inside corner of the box on one of the lines and then place the outside corner on the same line. Since you can't see the line on the board at the inside corner I would take the stylus, place it in the inside corner and then move it with the cardstock until I could feel a depression. Then I lined up the outside corner on the same line and scored from corner to corner at a diagonal.

On the lid I scored around each side at 7/8". Clip the corners like the photo below shows and form the lid by gluing the corners together. I used the extra strong permanent tape runner to form the lid corners. On top of the lid I just glued a few leaves and a flower about 3/4" back from one of the edges of the box so I could leave room for tying the box together. Even though the lid stays on pretty well by itself by using the ribbon it stays together and adds to the overall design.

I mailed these little invitations in a 4" X 4" X 4" corrugated box and they all got to the recipients with no problem. Have fun!

Bindy









7 comments:

Linda W. said...

Just gorgeous Bindy - you are sooo talented! I hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend also.

Rez said...

Aloha,

That must have been alot of work, but worth it. Look how beautiful it turn out to be?
I'm having a ALOHA sweet giveaway please check out my blog for more details.
http://karezmakreations.blogspot.com/
Rez

Denise said...

Absolutely gorgeous invitations! So creative :)

JINKYSCRAFTS said...

Absolutely stunning, Bindy! Love the colors you used here. They are PERFECT! LOVE IT!
btw, thanks for my special mention.

Barbara Bruder said...

What a cool idea. You did a great job. I bet everyone who received the invitation was so amazed at the uniqueness of the invitation.

Stacy H-W said...

These turned out so stunning!! I know the recipients were awed and amazed to get them. And I bet you daughter loved them too.

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Wowzers Bindy...this is amazing!!!