Thursday, May 12, 2011

May 12 - Happy Birthday Poppy Card

 Hello friends!  My name is Carmi and this is my second post for the Crafter's Companion blog.
I was pretty excited to receive the new Paint Fusion kit created by Sheena Douglas.
The DVD is jam packed with tips and how-tos.  I learned so much that I wanted to just press pause and get on with my project.  Any paint system that comes with rubber stamps is the system for me!  I decided to work with the poppy stamp set first.  As you can see from my studio table I placed my poppy stamp on a Rock-a-block and stamped three poppies on my watercolor paper.  I used red ink because I knew my poppies would be red and therefore these lines would be covered.  I then stamped some leaves in green ink.  (I used Staz-On inks because they are waterproof when dry and won't smudge when they come into contact with wet acrylic paint.)
Following Sheena's tips and tricks I worked on the laminated practice sheet and then I painted my first poppies!  I was really happy with my first sample.
I wanted to turn these flowers into a birthday greeting.  I pulled out my Fairyopolis paper pad and selected these papers to layer with.
Then I had my brainstorm.  I was just about to add a little glitter glue when I thought it might be more interesting to use my sewing machine with gold thread for some details. 
I really like sewing on paper!  When people receive a card like this they can't help but extend one finger to touch the gold thread.
My next job was to create my background/frame layers.  I also pulled out my Ultimate to score a card body from this lovely green shimmer card stock.
Last step was to find a sentiment.   I made this button with Fairyopolis artwork and then attached the "Happy Birthday" charm.  This is one of my prettiest hand crafted cards!

No comments: