Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy New Year With Humphrey


Hello and welcome to Crafter's Companion! It is Stacy here today to share with you one of my favorite of the new Humphrey Christmas Stamp Sets. This is the set called Auld Lang Syne. I'm always getting cards for Christmas from folks I have forgotten or missed (oops) and I like sending them a New Years card after the craziness of Christmas has passed. That way they don't feel left out, they get to stretch the holiday season a little farther, and I don't have to rush to get another Christmas card made and sent before Christmas!! LOL It is a win win situation.


You could use this set to make cards for this reason or maybe like several of my friends who don't send Christmas cards, you send New Years cards instead. Whatever the reason, you will want to have this stamp set in your collection because you could use it for any celebration card. Congratulations or Happy Birthday....the list could go on and on.




I made an easel card because I really like making easel cards. I thought the card would be cute with a banner on it so I cut out the triangles and layered them. I added some letter stickers to spell out HAPPY and threaded some bakers twine to connect the triangles. I colored the images with my new Spectrum Noir markers...which you are going to HAVE TO HAVE when we have them in the store to sell. They are comparable to Copic markers at a fraction of the cost! We have been lucky to get a sneak peak at them. I can't begin to tell you how awesome they are!!


I also wanted to share with you a little technique that really is a simple idea but made a huge difference once I learned to do it. I am always attaching ribbon to the front of my cards and adding a bow. ALWAYS! Don't you?? Well, I can't tell you how I struggled to figure out a neat way to attach the ribbon until I watched a video tutorial on My Pink Stamper blog.  Robyn wasn't even trying to teach this technique. She just used it to put together her card and I had that "ah ha" moment. That light bulb just went off in my head. LOL

Anyway, here is what she unintentionally taught me:




1. Start with two pieces of paper. One should be smaller than the other.




2. Cut off a length ribbon - long enough to go around the smaller piece of paper with a small bit on the back.




3. Find the place on the front of the paper where you want the ribbon to go. Place the ribbon there. Flip the paper over and using a small bit of tape attach the ribbon to the back of the paper. (crazy easy right??!)






















4. Next using double sided tape attach the small paper to the larger paper. (hiding the taped ribbon)













5. This is what it should look like on the front now. The ribbon is perfectly positioned and neat with the ribbon ends hidden.
















6. Next you can either add a bow that you have made with your Ultimate Tool on top of the ribbon strip or if you do not have an Ultimate Tool (What are you waiting for??!! LOL) you can just take a matching length of ribbon and slide it under the ribbon strip.









7. Next you just tie it together and it lays down perfectly and looks great.










Such a simple thing to do once you know how and now you do! You don't know how many cards I made and taped the ribbon to the back!!!!!!!!! I look back at the ones I still have and think they look ghastly. I hope this little technique was helpful to you.


Thanks for stopping by today. Until next time....happy scrapping!!

8 comments:

Dawnll - Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh such a great idea< can't say how many people I miss sending a Christmas card.
What a fun image and great easel design

Kelly Massman said...

Aww, how cute!

JinkyK said...

I love your Easel Card, Stacy! The banner and the Humphrey stamp image looks great together.

kathy said...

What a beautiful card. Thank's for the new way to put ribbon on the cards.

Amy's Designs said...

Great card. This makes me want to celebrate.

beauty said...

I believe that the post has perfect knowledge and a well research. Its awesome! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for next.

marilyn scott said...

what a lovely new year greetings. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Happy New Year!

xoxox Marilyn @
http://easyday.snydle.com/new-year-wishes.html

Sandra Cooper said...

The designs and colors, especially the banner "happy" new year greetings is very awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Cooper xxxx
Eazyday.blog.com