Sunday, January 29, 2012

Embroidered Flowers

Good morning! It's Marge here again.

Today I thought I'd share with you a simple little note card. It's small, roughly 3.5 x 5 inches. It uses a pretty image of flowers in a jar from the Sheena Douglas stamp line, A Little Bit Sketchy - Busy Doing Nothing.

This image was so sweet and unassuming, and it had a homespun feel with the glass jar and wildflowers. So after using my colored pencils, I carried that feeling along with some simple cross stitch embroidery. I matted it on a contrasting yellow card stock, punched a scallop border, added some tiny pearls, and it was done.

To do cross stitch or other embroidery stitches on cards, it really helps to pierce the holes first, using a template, awl and soft mat to keep the spacing even. Then, just sew like your mother taught you. Here's a close up of the image and the stitching.

It's the perfect little card to use as a blank note, a quick thank you, or just to say hi. And the embroidery embellishment is flat -- so no extra postage. And that's a good thing, says this frugal crafter. ;-)

Hope to see you here next week, and visit the Crafter's Companion site to see more of Sheena Douglass' designs.

Marge Dady

8 comments:

Stacy H-W said...

Very cute card. Great tips for stitching on a paper. I'm doing stitching on the layout I am working on right now. I find hand stitching to be kind of therapeutic. LOL I used to be a big cross stitcher before kids (and eye sight loss due to old age! ha).

Dee in N.H. said...

Beautiful! I love that stitching!

Kathy said...

Wonderful card. The colors are of spring, love the stitching. Great Idea. I adore the way you took the picture,flowers and lace!! Excellent.

Kathy said...

Wonderful card. The colors are of spring, love the stitching. Great Idea. I adore the way you took the picture,flowers and lace!! Excellent.

Paula Huiras said...

Love the stitching-you can get all your hobbies done in one card!
PH

Trena in Naperville said...

What a lovely, sweet card Marge! I really dig the stitched framed.

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This really is pretty-love the cross stitch

Michelle H. said...

Very pretty!!
Loe the stitching!!