Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lovely Spruce Tree

I really enjoy creating scenes for greeting cards! They are so versatile - a nice masculine card, a lovely birthday card or an anniversary card. Scenic cards also make really nice sympathy cards - the type we don't really enjoy making, yet they are necessary to let someone know we are thinking of them.

For this little scene I used the Spruce Tree image from the newly released Art-Kure line, and colored it with Spectrum Noir Markers. I really dig the rich colors of the markers! I find that they blend nicely without using a lot of ink. I also found the markers fit nicely into the Copic airbrush system. The airbrushed ink creates a smooth, even texture.

This is how I made this card:
  1. Colored the tree using two shades of green markers and a brown for the trunk. I colored one section at a time starting in the dark area - where the shading is. Next, I colored the lighter color, coloring into the dark area first.
  2. Masked the moon and the tree, including a horizon line at the grassy area of the image.
  3. Airbrushed the sky with a light blue.
  4. Masked off the top area and airbrushed the grass area. I then added a bit of texture, with dots and little quick strokes for blades of grass. I actually made a little boo boo (that's French for mistake) when I did the grass. I did not mask high enough into the sky and got a little bit of green in the sky. After pouting for a little while, I put in a light grey marker and airbrushed randomly in the same horizontal direction to create the illusion of subtle clouds. One of the those happy mistakes, also known as a new technique! :o)
  5. Pulled the masks off and adhered all the layers.
Stamps: Art-Kure Spruce Tree
Paper: X-press blending card stock, black card stock
Inks: black ink
Accessories
: Spectrum Noir Markers, low tack tape

Thanks for visiting!! Please come back again to see more of these beautiful new images. We'll have new posts every day, including sneak peeks for next week's new release!!

-------------------------

Announcing last weeks Giveaway winner!! Congratulations Julie Wollston!

julie_woolston said...

Stunning creation I love it, thank you for sharing it with us.

Hugs Julie x

Julie, please email your snail mail address to: bindy@crafterscompanion.com.
----------------------------
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Stunning card!! I love the coloring and blending. Very life like. Great job.

Paula Huiras said...

This is really really good! Love everything about it!
PH

Steph Lee (Arty Carty) said...

Gorgeous card in all it's simplicity, Trena! love the airbrushed bkgrd!

Stacy H-W said...

Don't you just love "happy accidents"?? I think those clouds really add a depth to your card!! Really gorgeous job girl!!!

Dawnll - Dawn's Craft Place said...

This is wonderful and I love this image and your air brushing. I still haven't tried that with my markers.
Thanks for sharing with us.