Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Just Living is Not Enough...

Hello!  Stacy here today to talk to you about the cool sneak peak we are giving you this week of our new Sheena Douglass Paint Fusion stamp sets which are soon to be released.  I was excited to get to work with the Fuchsia stamp set.  I love Fuchsia plants with all of their lovely flowers seemingly dripping down off of the lush green plant.

I decided to start by trying out a technique I love and making one of my background papers.  I pulled out a sheet of white card stock and 4 bottles of my Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist  - Fully Purple, Tutti Fruiti, Juneberry Wine and Starfish.
Next after swirling the bottles to mix the contents, I sprayed the paper heavily with all 4 colors in a random pattern.  For the best results you should soak the paper where the mist is literally standing on the paper.  You can take a paper towel and blot off the excess. 

After it dries it will look like this.
I LOVE this technique so much.  It really looks so beautiful in person.  I'm not sure if you can get a real feel for it from my photos.  Try it yourself and see if you don't agree with me.
After making this paper I got busy painting my stamped images.  Sheena's stamp sets include all the information you need to make this painting process incredibly easy and fun.  I started with the leaves and then I painted the flowers.  After painting I set them aside to dry.

I decided to fussy cut the images out so that I could vary their heights on my card.  I recently learned this very cool way to use my straight edge punch to make a border around a circular shape. 

First you punch a length of paper with your edge punch.  Cut off a strip of the paper leaving a small border 1cm or about .5 inch.


Snip at regular intervals, from the straight edge through to an aperture close to the patterned edge, leaving that edge intact


Slightly overlapping the sections, stick the strip behind the curved edge you wish to decorate.

Cool right??!!  I found this idea on Pinterest and thought I should share it with you.

I went for a fairly clean and simple card to let the fuchsia flower stand out.  I finished up by stamping out my sentiment which I thought was appropriate.  Have a look and see if you don't agree.
Okay, enough from me for today.  If I have inspired you to be scrappy please go join in the February Something Sweet Challenge on our sister blog, the Crafter's Companion USA Challenge Blog.  We would love to see your projects over there this month and I am sure you would love to get your name in the hat for February's fab prize.  Until next time...happy scrapping!!

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Stacy, this is brilliant!! I love this awesome new technique for the background paper. And thank you for showing us how to make a straight punch into a round piece of decoration.
The leaves look real!! Excellent Job.

Paula Huiras said...

That's a great idea for flowers. I love that technique too!
PH

Trena in Naperville said...

Beautiful Stacy! Great instructions - I dig that background!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

madebyKarla said...

I love fuchsias too. That card turned out great! Thanks for the tips on the misting and circle border :) I can,t wait to try it!

jose said...

Hi Stacy,just came over from sketches4all to see your tutorial...thanks for the idea how to use the straight borderpunch on a round piece of paper, and the misting for a background ...your card looks really awesome:)

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh I love your techniques-this is wonderful to share.
Beautiful design

Marge said...

Really cool tip with the punched circle!

Kelly Massman said...

Cool technique! TFS!