Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Party Amphibian!

Happy Valentines Day!!  Stacy here today and I am dying to share a sneak peak at our newest stamp set collection!! I just love doing these sneak peaks!!  We have an absolutely adorable new collection of Anthony and Burt stamps!  If you aren't aware Anthony and Burt are a frog and a fly and I cracked up when I saw the Party Amphibian Stamp Set so I just had to make something with that set.  I probably should have done a lovey dovey card since it is Valentines day, but this stamp set just called to me!! LOL
I colored the stamp set with my alcohol ink markers and then matted the image on layers of Echo Park paper.  I actually didn't want to add to much to the card because I loved the "party feel" of the star paper and really didn't want much else to compete with the image and that paper.

I decided I needed to make a flower.  I couldn't decide between an accordion pleated flower or a rolled flower so I made both and I am going to share with you how I made them.

Let's start with the rolled flower.  I started by cutting out a 3"x3" piece of paper.  And then I used my corner rounder to round each corner.  
Start cutting a 1/4 to 1/2 inch strip in a spiral from the outside edge.
Keep cutting the spiral until you reach the center of the square.
Next you start wrapping the paper from the center of the spiral all the way to the outside.  Wrap tightly.  Finish by tucking the end of the spiral under the rolled flower.
When you have made the entire spiral you can relax the flower and let it open up until it looks approximately like a rose.  Finally you put a good size adhesive dot on the bottom at the end of the wrap and press the wrapped flower onto it.  (you can also put the adhesive on to matching patterned paper and press flower down on it.  After it is attached you can then trim around the bottom of the flower)
I love this kind of flower and it is super easy and quick to make however I wasn't thrilled with how it looked on the card so I wanted to try the accordion flower.  I decided to kind of mix things up a bit so first I took one of my Martha Stewart punches and punched the edge along a 12"x 1 1/2" strip of patterned paper.
I pulled out my Crafter's Companion Ultimate Tool (which everyone should have) and scored it approximately every 1/4".  (since I punched a design in the paper I scored in the middle of each scallop and in between each scallop) 
Next just accordion fold the entire strip back and forth. 
When you finish folding it put adhesive on one end and attach to the other end forming a circle.
I punched a circle out of the patterned paper and put adhesive on it.
Next just push the accordion flower down on the circle until it forms the shape of a flat flower. 
I immediately knew that this was the flower I was going to be using.  I fussy cut a star out of my patterned paper and adhered it to the top of the flower.  To finish it up I added a button with a knotted piece of bakers twine on the very top. 

I really love that little flower and how it adds just that extra touch I was wanting.  I hope if you haven't already tried to make these flowers that you are inspired to try to make them now.  

If you haven't already joined in on our February Something Sweet Challenge over on the Crafter's Companion USA Challenge Blog there is still time to get in on the fun.  
And they are also giving away a Sheena Douglass Paint Fusion -Lilac stamp set to a lucky winner this week on the CC challenge blog so you should go throw your name in the hat!!  Until next time...happy scrapping!!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Stacy, this is great! I love all the colors and the little fly that says " I'M Buzzed" is adorable! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial.
Excellent job!

Paula Huiras said...

Very nice! Lots of info everyone will like...
PH

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Such fun embellishments on this cutie-and I love that festive color scheme

Steph Lee (Arty Carty) said...

super cute card and thanks for the tutorial! really handy!

Trena in Naperville said...

What an adorable card Stacy! Great tutorial!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!