Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stamp It Compass Card

Hi! Lisa here!

Ooooh!  I am having so much fun with the Crafter's Companion Stamp It images!!  This week's card features the Compass image.

I made a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" side fold card.  I put the Compass image on a 4" x 4" square of  paper suitable for mixed media images.  I used this paper so I could use my watercolor pencils to add color.  You could also use watercolor paper or any other paper suitable for wet media.  I scribbled with the side of the "lead" in the pencil (instead of the point) right on top of the image.  I used several different colors over the image.  Then, with a wet brush, I blended out the colors.  I tried not to get it overly wet when blending.  I used my heat tool to speed up the drying.  This left the paper "warped".  I liked the effect so I decided not to try to flatten it out.  After the piece was dry, I tore the edges off.  I used the DTP (direct to paper) method and put chalk ink around the torn edges.

The card itself was made from some brown pre-embossed card stock. I sanded it to bring out the design and to distress the edges of the card.  The next layer was done in pale yellow.  I edged it in the chalk ink.  I put it onto the card (offset to the left) using the Crafter's Companion Extra Strong Permanent Tape Runner.  I punched a design on the bottom of a  pinkish-red card stock and then edged it with the chalk ink.  I stapled the image piece to the pinkish-red card stock.  This was then adhered to the yellow layer.  Please refer to the picture for placement of layers. 

I cut a piece of text weight, cream colored paper the same size as the card.  I folded it in half and then cut off about 1/8 " from the height and 1/8" from the width.  I edged the paper with the chalk ink.  I attached the card insert with adhesive to the inside of the card.
You really should check out Crafter's Companion soon.  They have images for all interests.  Artsy, cutesy, Asian, or detailed - you're bound to find some that catch your eye.

Until next time, I am ever searching for inspiration.
Lisa

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow beautiful. love the red and browns. Great job.

Paula Huiras said...

Neat card-I like the staples!
PH

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Beautiful job with this one-I LOVE these stamps

Trena in Naperville said...

Lovely card Lisa! The background is perfect for the image. I really dig how you added color and distressed it - thank you for sharing how you did it!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Kathi said...

Very pretty.