Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anthony & Burt Post-It Note Holder

I watched the Ultimate Advanced Construction Techniques DVD  (for use with the Boxer and Envelobox  Creator boards).  Sara, the demonstrator, made a mini desk organizer.  It was very cool.  A great little project for a fund raiser or a craft sale.  I changed it a bit to suit what I wanted from the project.

I started with a piece of pearlescent 8 1/2" x 11" card stock.  From this, I cut a strip 3 1/8" x 10".  Using the Boxer board with the Ultimate Tool, I scored at 1", 3 1/2", 7", 8" and 9".  I've added a photo showing the score lines.  All of the scored lines should be folded and burnished. I used the Crafter's Companion Extra Strong Permanent Tape to attach the first and last sections of the scored paper together.  This should form an "A-frame" shape.  Set this to the side.

Next, make a tray to hold
3 1/2" square Post-It Notes.  You will need a 5 1/8" square piece of the card stock.  Using the Boxer board, score on all four sides and the 1" mark.  Fold and burnish the scored lines.  Cut notches for the corner tabs.

I used a 1 1/4" square punch to on one side to make a  notch in the tray
to get to the paper easier. 

 Use the Permanent Tape on the corner tabs and fold up to a tray shape.  Use the Tape to adhere the tray to the 1" segment on the "A-frame".  Set this to the side.

To make the decoration for the Post-It Note holder, I started with Crafter's Companion Anthony & Burt stamps.  I stamped the main image twice onto white card stock. I colored the main image with alcohol markers. 

As I mentioned in my last blog post, check out Crafter's Compainion for Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. If you're new to alcohol markers, you'll want to try these.  And be sure to get the Spectrum Noir Instructional DVD.  It helps you easily learn techniques for alcohol markers.

I colored Anthony (the fly) with glitter pens on the main
image and the extra one to pop up.   I made Burt (the frog) a happy green color.  The extra frog image was colored to match.  I colored the big heart, only on the main image, with a couple of different reds. I added some 3D Crystal Lacquer to Burt's eyes (on the extra piece only) to make them shine.  Then I used a product called Goosebumps that I sprayed on to make a "warty" feel on the extra frog.
                                                                
While he was drying, I cut out the main image from the white card stock.  I added alphabet stickers to spell "Notes" on the red heart.   I attached it to the front of the note holder with the Permanent Tape.    After Burt was dry, I cut him and Anthony from the extra  image.  I attached the extra frog image with double-sided foam adhesive   to pop him up off the main  image. I also used the double-sided foam adhesive to pop Anthony (the fly) over top of the original image.


A last thought was to put a pen holder on the back of the note holder.  I used a 1 1/2" x 2" piece of the same card stock used for the "A-frame" and the tray.  I used the Boxer board for scoring again.  I scored at 3/8", 3/4" 1 1/4" and 1 5/8".  I folded on the score lines.  I attached the first section to the last section with the Permanent Tape.  I attached this to the back of the note holder.


Add a pad of Post-It notes in the tray, and your project is ready to go!

Until next time, I am ever searching for inspiration.

Lisa


6 comments:

Kathy said...

Nice project lisa, Thank you for the pattern.

Paula Huiras said...

Cute project. That image is perfect for that project!
PH

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This is a wonderful project-image looks adorable on there.
Fun one to share

UnikeByYes said...

What a great " just because" gift idea! TFS
Have a great day!
Liz

Steph Lee (Arty Carty) said...

great project!

Rory Fugerson said...

Great project for important post it notes. Sometimes when we need these notes, we don't see it and at times that we don't need it at all, we see it many times. If that project would be great, post it notes would have a zone for them whenever you would need them.