Monday, March 5, 2012

Stamp It Bookmarks

Hi all!  Jen (JLJ Designs) here.  I saw these great magnetic bookmarks this weekend in blogland and I wanted to try making my own.  Here's one of my finished ones featuring Stamp It - A Map.  Scroll down to find out how to make three bookmarks from two 12"x12" sheets of paper.


You'll need two 12"x12" pieces of paper - one cardstock and one decorative paper.  First, cut your cardstock into three 4" wide strips.  Score each strip at 2", 6" and 10" as shown below.

Now, you'll need to glue your magnets at the inside of the 2" and 10" scored lines. Be sure to check that your magnets stick together before they're glued down.  Magnets have polarity and one side may repel the other magnet if the gluing isn't done with care.  Add glue around the 2" flaps.  Seal the flaps around the magnets.  You've completed the inside.


To decorate the outside, cut 6 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" squares of your decorative paper.  Center on each side of the bookmark and adhere.  This will give a small cardstock border around your decorative paper.  Decorate to your heart's content.  You'll have three bookmarks when you're done.

Here's my second bookmark with Hummingbird Wings.


I decorated the reverse side of this bookmark as well.


Here's my third bookmark featuring Bird Cage by Yi Hua Law.


I decorated the reverse side in a similar manner.


Happy Crafting!
Jen

6 comments:

Paula Huiras said...

I like the brownish/antiquey color you chose-goes with the stamps. neat flower and ribbon too.
PH

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Such a fun way to use the stamps
Thanks for sharing

Kathy said...

Love the earthy colors.Great idea. Thanks for te tutorial.
Excellent job!!

Denise said...

Fabulous tutorial Jen! They turned out beautifully :)

Caryn S said...

These are really pretty but I'm afraid I am a bit thick. How are these used as bookmarks? It seems like they would be a bit lumpy with the magnets and the embellishments.

Stacy H-W said...

This is such a neat idea!! I love that tutorial and I will be making some of these soon!!