Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tool Bookmark

Happy Sunday! Today I have a bookmark using a sneak peek from the new Stamp It Australia release from Crafter's Companion.

The original stamp had the tools in a diamond shape, surrounding the words 'Happy Father's Day'.  Sadly, my father has passed on, so the greeting wasn't appropriate, but I still wanted to use the images to make a masculine bookmark for my son Tom, who is an avid reader.

So, I simply colored them with my Spectrum Noir markers and cut them out!   These tool images are crisp and open and lend themselves to coloring.

I used some paper from my stash that had a tone-on-tone gears design, rounded the edges with my corner punch and layered it on grey card stock with rounded corners. Then I simply adhered the tools in a vertical fashion.  I snipped through the scissor blades to position the paint brush handle through them.

I added some alpha circles at the top to spell "READ"".

The final touch was to use my 1/4 inch circle punch to punch the ribbon hole at the center top. I selected various ribbons from my stash - a very broad grosgrain red, a measuring-tape twill, and a thin seam binding to tie it and to thread some beads through.
 
Here are the marker colors I used and a close up of the images.  Fun and functional, I think he'll like it! 

Don't forget to join in on the Crafter's Companion Scavenger Hunt Blog Hop that ends tonight at Midnight PST.  There are fun prizes to win. 

Till next week, Marge Dady

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Marge, I love this!!! My dad has also passed, but my hubby read alot!, Thank you for the Idea.
I love the way you over lapped the tools. Great job.

Paula Huiras said...

Neat idea! I like how the tools are layered one by one down the bookmark....Nice coloring too.
PH

JLJ Designs said...

Gorgeous bookmark!

Jen

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Such a creative use of the stamp, love how the tools work on your bookmark-how fun!

Linda W. said...

I really adore this idea - my hubbie is such an avid reader and my 3 great grandsons would adore such a bookmark! And that stamp set is so tempting - guess I'll grab it up and do some creating with it!

Trena in Naperville said...

Love this idea Marge!! What a wonderful gift idea! Your coloring is awesome!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!