Sunday, May 20, 2012

Almond Blossom Fairy

I've got to say, I just love these Flower Fairies stamps by Crafter's Companion.  They are so intricately detailed.  Today I chose the Almond Blossom fairy.

Sometimes that same detail that attracts you to an image can be a bit daunting and time consuming to color.  Along that vein, I actually have a confession to make -- I don't have too much patience with coloring, preferring faster techniques and I never thought I was very good at it.  However, since I started practicing with the Spectrum Noir alcohol markers, I've been told by many that my coloring skills have really improved and I do enjoy the process much more than I used to.  But at times I revert back to my lazier habits, LOL.

This 5" x 7" card is one of those lazier (whoops, quick) cards.  I decided to go with a monochromatic color scheme instead of doing detailed realistic coloring.  As a general rule, monochromatic color schemes go faster. I started by stamping the large fairy in a sepia toned ink onto vanilla card stock.  I then masked the legs and stamped off a row of flowers at the bottom and lower right.  Separately, I stamped the fun 'fairy kisses' greeting, hand cut it in to a banner shape, and sponged the edges.  On small pieces of scrap card stock, I stamped and fussy cut three flowers and three butterflies, all from the Almond Blossom fairy set.

Then I shaded everything with pastels (chalks), using golden yellows, tans and shades of browns. I used a Q-tip and at times my finger-tip to blend the pastels. I added glitter to the fairy's wings and to the butterflies and brown micro-beads to the flower centers.  I sponged the card edges and mounted it on brown and then again on vanilla.  Finally, I attached the greeting, butterflies, and flowers with glue dots.

And it was done!  Half an hour from start to finish, now that's my kind of card!

We are still having our Customer Appreciation Giveaways so please be sure and look in the upper right hand side bar for the link to the one on this site.  The post will give you all the details on how to enter all the other giveaways.  Good luck!

See you here next Sunday -- Marge Dady

7 comments:

Paula Huiras said...

This is a very attractive card.That's all I have to say!
PH

Carolyn L. said...

This is great, I loved how you used limited colors. It really makes the image pop!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This is the first stamp set I ever bought from CC and knew I was hooked ever since...Love her in yellow and the wings are the perfect touch

Kathy said...

Now that's a beautiful card!!! Love the two tone and glitter, Simply excellent,!!!

Rebecca Morefield-Wagner said...

This is soooo awesome! I love your coloring here.

nicinthbu said...

Quick cards are the best!

Kathy S. said...

What a lovely card. Well done.