Thursday, July 26, 2012

Live in the Moment Mixed Media Canvas

Good morning crafters!  Today I have a mixed media canvas to share with you.  You may want to shade your eyes because this baby is BRIGHT!  I love that the "in" colors right now are bright blog neon colors.


I started my project by doing everything that would take some time to dry.  I painted the outside edges of my canvas with a bright yellow acrylic paint.  The canvas already had a little bit of hot pink color dye on it, so in one corner the color turned into a pretty bight orange.  (No I didn't plan that, it just worked out really well).


Next, I picked out the paper I wanted for the main background (Amy Tangerine's Sketchbook collection) and splattered bright pink paint on it.  There's no wrong way to do this.  Just load your paintbrush up and flick the paint at the paper.  You will want to do this outside or on a large mat to catch any paint that misses.  I tend to fling the paint all over the place.


I had some wood wings that I wanted to include somewhere on my canvas, so I went ahead and painted them white and added some clear microbeads.   I also added a layer of Glimmer Glam once the paint dried to help keep the bead attached.  I think it added a really fun texture to them.


Next, I added bright yellow and blue to a small piece of paper and dry embossed it.


For the main focus of my canvas, I chose two stamps from Sheena Douglass' brand new A Little Bit Scenic Silhouette Grasses stamp set.  I think the flourish with the flower blowing away is so gorgeous, while the saying is perfect for me.  I tend to be a planner, so I could use a daily reminder to enjoy the present.  I stamped the two images on vellum with Staz-on black ink.


I then adhered the vellum to my blue and yellow piece of paper.


Once everything was dry, I started to pull out everything that might look good on my canvas.  This is a bit of a messy way to create and usually my desk is a disaster zone by the time I'm done.  I start with any paper and flat embellishments, like washi tape, stickers, and die cuts.  Then I start to arrange my flowers.  Next I decide where I can add some bling, as well as any bigger three-dimensional accent pieces.  The very last thing I do is glue everything down.  Here are a few close-ups of the canvas.







Do you have Sheena's new A Little Bit Scenic Silhouette Grasses stamp set?  We'd love for you to share what you've made with it over on our Facebook page.  

Enjoy the rest of your week!

8 comments:

ScrappyRae10 said...

EEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK this is amazing!

MadeByKarla said...

Love it!

Stacy H-W said...

Totally gorgeous!!

Cheryl said...

This is just gorgeous!! I LOVE the bright colors!!

KYCrafter said...

I love this! Great colors and placement of the elements.

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh my goodness how fun, love the process and the end result.

Trena in Naperville said...

Denise! This is absolutely gorgeous! I love all the colors and your layout!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Kathy said...

Excellent!! I love all the embellishments! That is a happy card!!