Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Gift This Christmas




This card started with a 10" x 5" blue card stock base.  I folded it in half and this card will have a side fold.

On the center of the card base, I used Extra Strong Permanent Tape to attach a 4 1/2" square of red card stock.  I set this piece to the side until the image piece was finished.

On a 3 7/8" square of Ultra Smooth Premium Cardstock, I placed a new Mulberry Wood Christmas image.  I used a craft knife and a cutting mat to cut out the moon from the image.  I used my Spectrum Noir markers to color the image.   I scribbled a Spectrum Noir marker (that coordinated with the color of the card base) onto a non-stick craft sheet.  I dabbed a cosmetic sponge into the ink and dabbed it onto the white area of the image piece.  I had to scribble onto the mat several times to get enough ink onto the image.  I used a white gel pen to add highlight dots on the holly berries.  Then, I used the 3-D Crystal Lacquer to go over the holly leaves.  Don't make this too thick, or it will require additional time for drying.

While that was drying, I cut a piece of decorative paper.  I'm not sure exactly what I had on hand ... might have been Lace Rain paper or Ogura Lace paper.  It was just a square piece, pale yellow, that would cover the cut-out in the image.

 
When my lacquer was dry, I taped the piece of yellow lace paper behind the cut-out from the image.  However, I had planned on backing the image piece with a 4 1/8" square of green card stock.  But when I saw them together, it didn't look right.  I then taped a piece of pale yellow card stock behind the yellow lace paper.  Better.



Note:  You wouldn't need to cut out the moon from the image and go to the problem of piecing lace paper and such.  You could just color the moon as it was in the image.

I used the Permanent tape to tape the image to the center of the green card stock.  Then, I used a 1/16" hole punch to punch a hole in each corner of this last piece.  I placed the holes about 3/8" in from the top and side of each corner.  I looked through my collection of embellishments for red brads.  I didn't find any that I liked for this project.  I ended up using white brads and coloring the tops with the same red Spectrum Noir marker that I'd used on the hat.  I fastened the brads behind the green card stock.

I used Double-Sided Adhesive Foam to attach this piece to the center of the red card stock on the card base.

I placed the text on a scrap piece of the Ultra Smooth Premium Cardstock.  I cut this out to approximately 1/2" x 2".  I used the Permanent Tape to attach it to a slightly large piece of red card stock like was used on the card.  I used the Double-Sided Adhesive Foam to attach the text to the card.  Please refer to the photo for placement.

If you don't feel like you're getting in enough time for yourself, take time out to stamp just one image and color it.  It really won't take too long, but it will make you feel so good!  You remember how stamping and coloring puts a little grin on your face, don't you?

Have a great week!


Until next time, I am ever searching for inspiration.
Lisa


8 comments:

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This turned out so beautiful!So creative sweetie

Denise said...

Love how cool your moon turned out! Fabulous card!

Stacy H-W said...

What a fantastic idea for the moon!! Love the way it looks! Great job!

Trena in Naperville said...

Lisa, Such a sweet card and a great idea for the moon!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Cheryl said...

This is just wonderful! I love all of the ideas you gave me and the close-up details of your beautiful card!

Kathy said...

Lisa, This is adorable!! love the coloring.Super card, well done!!!

Rhonda Miller said...

What a cute card.

Tonya said...

This is so cute. I love the image and the moon looks awesome.