Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Back to School Backpack

Hello and welcome to Crafter's Companion!!  Stacy here to share with you today.  How many of you are on Facebook?  I'm not a big "poster" but I do love to read what everyone else writes.  I found the cutest pattern on there to make a sweet mini backpack.  I just had to make one and share it (and the link) with you. 


I went to Splitcoaststampers and printed out the tutorial and the patterns by Mary Arima.  I cut out the patterns and then traced them out onto a double sided piece of 12" x 12" patterned paper.  I actually made a backpack following the directions and patterns that Mary came up with and it just turned out super cute.  However, I thought I would like the front pocket to be a bit smaller than the pattern that Mary made so I made my own pattern for those pieces on this project.


My personal measurements for the Front Pocket are 2 1/2 inches by 3 3/4 inches.  You will understand this when you print out Mary's template.  The folds are 1/4 inch.   I adjusted the Front Pocket Flap also.  It is 2 1/2 inches by 3 inches with the first fold line at 1 1/4 inches and the second fold line at 1 1/2 inches.  (I really just trimmed the sides of the existing pattern to fit the pocket that I made.)

I pulled out my The Tale of Peter Rabbit stamps by Beatrix Potter.  I stamped out my sentiment onto cream card stock, trimmed the paper into a tag shape and then inked the edges to distress it a bit.  I added a bit of twine through a the hole that I punched at the top of it.  Finally I added it to the flap of the backpack with some adhesive squares.


I love how this turned out and I am sure my daughter's teacher is going to love getting it.  It is the perfect size to put in a gift card or some candy or even a pack of crayons.  Thanks for looking today.

Until next time...happy scrapping!

8 comments:

Trena in Naperville said...

I love how it turned out too Stacy!! I really dig the way you used your coordinating designs! I think your daughter's teacher will love it! Also,
great display photo - sitting on the dictionary. :o)

Take care and STAY POSITIVE

Kathy said...

Wow this is awesome,Great project!!! love the colors.

Cheryl said...

I LOVE this Stacy!! Thanks for the link!

Angela Crafty Spot said...

Very cute backpack!! I'm going to make a few back to school things this week myself!
Angela
http://angelascraftyspot.blogspot.com/

{Chrissie} said...

This is so cute! I love projects like this - I think I'm going to try it!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Love it!!! Cute as can be, such a fun idea

Barb Turpin said...

Adorable for a gift card holder!

KYCrafter said...

What a cool idea!! Great work!