Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Happy Christmas Gift Bag

Happy Tuesday!  Welcome to the Crafter's Companion Informational blog today.  Stacy here with another project to share with you.  I really have fun coloring the new Winter Strawberry Kisses stamps. So when I was given an "Anything Goes" week,  I decided to work with their Happy Christmas set.  That little kitty, Snow, just calls to me! ha  There are so many new holiday/winter stamps coming out or already out that I couldn't just stop with using only one set so I also used the Holly leaves stamp from the soon to be released stamp sets in Sheena Douglass'  A Little Bit Festive stamp collection.



First, I stamped and colored my images with my Spectrum Noir markers.  If you are new to coloring or just want to learn a bit more about coloring the Happy Christmas image you should go check out this Color-A-Long on our Spectrum Noir Blog. 

Are you like me and always looking for a gift to give at the "last minute" ?  I decided I wasn't going to be stressing over it this year so I am going to make up several of these cute little gift bags to have in my stash for those sort of occasions.  These little bags are really very easy to put together.  I started with a 12" x 12" piece of patterned paper.  I used my Ultimate Tool to score the paper at 3 inches and since the Ultimate Tool doesn't go to 9 inches, I flipped it over and scored at 3 inches on the opposite side.  This will give you two parralle lines at 3" and 9".  Then I turned the paper and scored at 5 inches and at 7 inches.  Then I folded and burnished all of my score lines.



As you can see the first two folds turn your 12 x 12 paper into a bi-fold card.  An extremely large one but you see what I mean.  And then the folds you made at 5 inches and 7 inches starts you on the road to turning that area into the base of your bag. 


(Tricky part)


Here is the only tricky part.  You need to make 4 side folds to make the pocket that your goodies will sit in.  Here is what you do...see those score lines at 5" and 7"?    You will see how they are folded with the "mountain" facing out.  You will take that "mountain fold and line it up with the edge of your bag.  Reach inside and smooth your finger down and make your fold.  Do this on all 4 sides.  Next open up your paper and put some adhesive on the corners.  I've marked them in the photo below.
 Put adhesive on the 4 corners I have marked.

Put adhesive on the 4 areas I have marked with my pencil.
This is what it should look like at this point.



Next you will fold the paper back and let the sides adhere.  And then you will add more adhesive to the areas I have marked in the above photo.  You don't have to do this stage if you don't want but it does give your bag more stability.  All that is left to do is decorate now. 



I made a little folded topper to go on the top of the bag.  I cut out a piece of paper approximately 3 inches by 6 inches.  I folded the paper in half lengthwise.  Then I took one of my edge punches and punched the two 6 inches sides.  I made pencil marks on the front of the topper at 2 inches and at 4 inches.  These marks are where I punched my holes.  It is best to put the topper on the bag first before punching these holes.  That way your holes will line up perfectly.  The folded topper fits easily over the top of the two sides of the bag. 

Here is my bag with some goodies inside.
What do you think?  Like it??  Think you will make any of these to give away?  Well, I hope you were a little bit inspired today.  I thank you for stopping by and visiting.  Until next time...happy scrapping.

12 comments:

Hassan Ashraf said...

nice information keep it up best of luk! nice working i love your work stay happy:)
live tv streaming

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Great tutorial and wonderful festive paper. Just love your holiday bag.

Trena in Naperville said...

What a lovely project Stacy. I dig your colors!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Kelly Massman said...

Very cute!

Kathy said...

Stacy, this is stunning!! love the tutorial on how to make the gift bag, thank you. Love the great colors and the stamped kitty is awesome.Great bow and lacey edge. Excellent job sweetie!!

KYCrafter said...

Excellent project!!! Cute tag!! Great work!

corporate gifts for women said...

"Christmas Gift" is an expression traced back as early as 1844 in the southern United States.[1] It is derived from the tradition of saying "Christmas Gift!" among typically poor African American and Anglo farming families in rural areas.

{Chrissie} said...

This is a really great idea. Thank you for the tutorial - I'm always running around at the last minute, trying to get little things like this done, too!!!

athiya said...

Wow! Looks very interesting.. I would like to give a try hope it will come well.. Thanks..

Cheryl said...

This is wonderful!! I absolutely LOVE it and thanks for the tutorial!!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

I love this bag and plan on making one right away! thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

nice information keep it up best of luck! nice working i love your work stay happy:)Merry Chritmas