Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Poppies That Pop & A Winner!



This card is for my stampin' sister Sandy.  She is one of my friends that is not only a stamper, but a multimedia artist. You have friends like that - the ones you don't want to give one of your "quickie cards" to.  This one actually did not take very long, but looks like it did.  Shhhhhhh, don't tell!

To create this little close up scene, I started by stamping poppies images from  Sheena's Paint Fusion Stamp Set - Poppies set  onto black card stock with a VersaMark ink pad.  Next, I drew the lines and stems with a watermark pen, sprinkled clear embossing powder and heat set.


I colored and blended each section with pastels. TIP: For areas where you want the color to be very light, lay down white first and then color over it. It brightens the color on the black card stock.


I used a paper towel and a small, clean eraser to gently wipe off the color when color got onto the embossed lines.  For any areas where I could not remove color, or missed a spot, I used a permanent black marker to fill in.


Shout out: This card was inspired by Donna Downey's October Create Design.  I just love her creativity and energy!

Thanks for visiting!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Trena

*********************
How about a winner for this weekend's giveaway of the adorable Strawberry Kisses Special Delivery set:


Congratulations to:


Send an email to Taylor at taylor@crafterscompanion.com - be sure to include your mailing address and the name of the set you won! 

Happy stamping!


16 comments:

Susan Parrish said...

I love the stained glass effect thie has. Gorgeous!

Emily H said...

Breath taking Trena! I want to try this technique! Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathy A. said...

This is absolutly beautiful! I have a question... when using pastels on black paper, do you need to use any type of spray to seal them onto the page?
Thanks.

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Love all of that color. Beautiful card.

Khristen said...

Trena, that is just gorgeous! Love the pastels, I have yet to dabble, but have been itching to pick up a set to play with :) You have really created a work of art here, I am now super inspired to create!

Congrats, Michele! Enjoy your adorable stamp!

xoxo
Khristen

Stacy H-W said...

This is really beautiful my friend!! I love it. hugs, Stacy

KYCrafter said...

WOW!!! Love the card!!! I am going to have to get my pastels out and cut loose!!

Trena in Naperville said...

Kathy, I did spray a fixative after I finished adding color. I have also burnished a piece after I finished it - rubbed in the pastel with a soft paper towel. This method does remove a small amount of color. Would love to see what you do with pastels!

Kathy said...

This is stunning, I love stain glass and the colors are awesome. Thank you for the tutorial, Excellent job!!

Dawn's Craft Place said...

I am so impressed with this beautiful design!You are always amazing us sweetie

Cheryl said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Trena!!

Congratulations to Michelle!!

Marge said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Rhonda Miller said...

What a beautiful card. Thanks for the tutorial.

Michele from MS said...

Wow...I was so very inspired by this card and even more excited to see my picture at the end! Yippee!! So very excited to win this adorable stamp set ~ THANK YOU! Now, back to the beautiful card! Wonderful instructions and thanks for the tip on how to make a color brighter when using black paper! Just gorgeous!

{Chrissie} said...

Trena, those poppies are simply amazing. The way you made this is just fantastic.

LaJanette said...

This is gorgeous! Congrats to the winner!