Monday, December 17, 2012

Making Custom Boxes

Good morning!  It's getting mighty close to Christmas, and I've been making special holiday ornaments for customers, friends, and family.

A friend of mine requested a custom sentiment on an ornament, and being the crafty gal I am, figured out a way to transfer the image she wanted onto the frosted glass bulb.  It was a difficult process at first, but has become much easier the more ornaments I make.

Of course, with such delicate glass bulbs, it was nice to have my Ultimate Crafter's Companion complete with the Boxer Board.  I was able to create boxes for all of them to keep them safe while in storage. Would you like to see how easy it was?


Let's start with the ornament itself. I took a plain frosted glass ornament and added the sentiment to it in a relatively easy way: creating my own rub on transfer.  I printed the sentiment out onto a sheet of transparency made for overhead projectors making sure to choose "mirror image" in the printer settings window.  After giving the ink a good 10 minutes or so to dry, I sprayed a very light layer of adhesive, letting that dry for about 20 minutes.

You want it to be tacky, and hold the piece of transparency in place while you transfer the design. Otherwise the image will smudge. Very carefully place the image (I had to transfer my sentiment one line at a time to make it just right) on the bulb and rub with a popsicle stick. Be sure you don't squeeze too hard on the bulb, I had one shatter in my hand!!

When I was done, I sprayed a coating of clearcoat over the sentiment to set it in place. To finish, I added ribbons in different colors, a flower, and a dot of Stickles.

Here's the finished product:


Now I have these beautiful ornaments, but what will the customer do with them when they aren't hanging on the tree? Even if you don't make these ornaments, I'm sure we all have a bulb that has a missing or broken box.  Here's how to make your own custom box to hold your most precious ornaments.

Take your Boxer Board and two sheets of 12 X 12 paper.  Making sure the edge of your paper is butted up against the "Box Base" side, score along the 3.75" mark on all four sides.  Fold along the lines you've scored, cut notches out of each corner, and using a wet glue, assemble the box. (Box making instructions come in the manual included with the Ultimate Tool.)

Take the second sheet of paper and butt it up against the "Box Lid" side of the Boxer Board. Again, score at the 3.75" line, fold, cut notches, and assemble. You then have this beauty:


I glued my business card to the top of the box for customers, but plan to decorate the top for friends and family to give them as gifts this Christmas.

I hope you like the project I've shared with you today. Crafter's Companion makes it easy to take a gift and make it even more special in a gorgeous custom box! The recipient will love it!

Have a wonderful day, and don't forget to check out this post for a chance to win another gorgeous stamp set.  You have until 6pm EST tonight to enter!

6 comments:

Barb said...

The bulbs are beautiful!!!!! You did a awesome job!!! I could never do them. I also very pleased you showed the box. Wish more things were done on the blogs with the Ultimate tool a lot more often. Not just cards & stamps. You work is awesome !!!!! Thank you for sharing with us Merry Christmas!!!!

Alicia NDC said...

Hi - this is such a great idea! Thank you!
I am wondering if the clear plastic ornament balls would work the same?
It would help so much to know.... Still, such an awesome gift to make!

Amy#8546(TheTigersHaven) said...

These are Gorgeous.

{Chrissie} said...

Not only are those beautiful, I love the idea of the storage box!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

How beautiful and what a wonderful idea to make the boxes to put the bulb in!

KYCrafter said...

Great ornament, great technique, great storage box. Great job!!