Monday, April 15, 2013

Butterflies in Spring


I'm so excited that spring is finally arriving here in Virginia - does it feel like spring in your neck of the woods yet?  I was inspired this weekend to create a spring-y card to play along with this month's Crafter's Companion challenge (the theme is flowers) - have yu played yet?  Head over to the challenge blog for all the details on how you could win a $30 gift certificate!

Ready for a closer look at how I created this springtime scene?  Below I'm sharing a small bit of the tutorial I create - you can see it in full over on my blog.

This project began with two stamp sets - Silhouette Wildflowers and Flying Colours (both available from Crafter's Companion UK and Crafter's Companion US), various colors of VersaMagic inks (in Dew Drop forms, which are my favorite); and Memento inks in several colors (I used Desert Sand and Summer Sky). 


I trimmed a piece of Ultra Smooth White cardstock from Crafter's Companion US to be 5" square.   I inked up a solid flower stamp with my Memento Desert Sand ink, stamped it off once on scratch paper, and then stamped it on to my cardstock.  I repeated this process three times.


Then I wanted to add a cloudy sky behind my flied of flowers.  Using masks (die-cut clouds), an InkBlusher, and Memento Summer Sky ink, a created my sky.


This is really easy to do, and adds so much interest to projects!  Beginning at the bottom of your image panel, add ink with an InkBlusher beginning on the mask, pulling ink off on to your image panel.  Gradually work upwards toward the top of your card stock. 

Finally, I used Thatched Straw, Aloe Vera, Pink Petunia, and Spring Pansy VersaMagic inks to stamp small butterflies on a separate piece of card stock.  I fussy cut each one of them and set them aside. 


I embossed a piece of blue cardstock using the Embossalicious Floral Frenzy folder (Crafter's Companion UK and Crafter's Companion US).  I adhered all of the components to my card base using Collal All-Purpose Glue; the butterflies and sentiment are popped up on foam squares.

I love how all of these springtime colors work together!

Supplies:
Stamps: Flying Colours, Silhouette Wildflowers (Crafter's Companion)
Card Stock: Brown (Core'dinations); Blue, Orange (Bazzill); Ultra Smooth White (Crafter's Companion US)
Ink: Memento Desert Sand, Summer Sky; VersaMagic Aloe Vera, Aquatic Mist, Pink Petunia, Spring Pansy, Thatched Straw (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Ribbon (May Arts), Pearls (Eyelet Outlet)
Tools: Embossalicious Floral Frenzy folder (Crafter's Companion); Cloud Dies (Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps); InkBlusher (Tsukineko)

Make sure you keep checking our here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

4 comments:

tndj said...

beautiful and thanks for some good tips. Wondered how that was done and the explanation on the clouds were very helpful. Also how you did the plants so lightly in the background. TFS

barbara macaskill said...

I love this so much I had to go and order both stamp sets before I could write this! TFS!

Stef H said...

this is gorgeous! your clouds are amazing! and to think, i thought i did good clouds! LOL

hugs :)

Amy#8546(TheTigersHaven) said...

This is so Beautiful. I love all the butterflies.... And Beautiful colors. Well done...