Monday, April 29, 2013

Technique Spotlight: Selective Die Cutting

Chrissie used a really great technique to create a project for this week's Faerie Poppets release - Selective Die Cutting.  Selectively die cutting is a great way to add interest to your card (and it saves you the time of having to fussy cut images, too)!


Here is how she created this gorgeous card:


"First, I stamped the image on Crafter's Companion Premium White cardstock.  I pulled out my dies and placed them over the image before cutting.   I played around with sizes and positions to decide which portion of the image I wanted on the card. 

You can see in the above picture that I cut out part of the feet and foliage using my Cuttlebug. Then, I started coloring her in, using my Spectrum Noir Markers. I actually pulled out some patterned stock ahead of time and matched the color scheme to those papers." 


"As I colored, I kept it somewhat loose, to go along with the style of these images.  They just flow, so I felt like I could just 'go with the flow' as I colored.  So, I let some colors bleed into each other and kept it as soft as I could." 


"After my die cut was colored in, I added the sentiment along with a few strips of patterned paper."


"I've found that when you mix patterned papers together, it creates more interest.  I always try to keep at least one similar color in the patterns, though, to tie it all together. In the two papers I've chosen, both have the same yellow."


"Once I had the papers adhered down and everything was ready to assemble, I added Crafter's Companion foam adhesive to the back of the die cut. 

For the finished card, I added some bling (I needed some sparkle). I also sponged the edges of the die cut to soften it up a little bit. There was just too much white between the card base and the background of the die cut. This also makes the image pop out a little more." 

Don't forget to leave a comment to win this weekend's Friday Giveaway - you have until 6:00 PM EST tonight!  We've got a fabulous embossing folder up for grabs - head over to this post for details!

Make sure you keep checking our here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

4 comments:

Trena in Naperville said...

What a sweet, sweet card. Nice way to add dimension Chrissie.

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Stacy H-W said...

Adorable card!

barbara macaskill said...

Beautiful! Great technique that I am going to have to try! Can't wait for these darlings to be released so they can come home to me!

Mary Ann said...

WOW!Beautiful card,love your coloring...