Friday, June 7, 2013

Distressed Ink Bookmarks

Design Team member Trena Brannon recently shared this fabulous bookmark tutorial on her blog... take a peek!

I still have a few friends that have not converted to e-readers.  They like the feel a real book - the cover and to physically turn pages.  Today, I'm making bookmarks for them.


I laid down color using using a blending tool and distress inks. I did this on top of a piece of cardstock (Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock for Alcohol Markers) - to catch all the color. I've used it under coloring a few times, and will use that for a background piece later. I learned that from Dina (thank you mama dini!). Depending on how smooth you want the blending, you need to use a very light touch. You can see in some of my coloring, I was a bit heavy handed. By the time I got the stamping in, it wasn't as noticeable.


Next, I lined bookmarks up touching and stamped flowers from Sheena's A Little Bit Scenic - Silhouette Grasses across the bottom.

I stamped in a taller flower from the set off the edges.


With the bookmarks still lined up closely, I stamped the tiny fairies from Sheena's A Little Bit Scenic - Hidden Fairies and tree branches from Sheena's A Little Bit Scenic - Silhouette Garden.


For an added touch of detail, I added Stickles to their wings, dabbed it randomly, and added white acrylic paint on the tips of some of the flowers.


After everything dried completely, I added color to the backs using the distress ink pads directly and stamped one of the mini fairies. 


 On the front, I added black to edges and stamped few more tree leaves.



I slipped them into their clear sleeves and added some ribbon and fibers from my stash. TIPS: I used a ruler to help guide the paper into the sleeves.  I use dental floss to help pull the ribbon through the little hole. I used twine to tie the ribbon, so I would not have a fat knot.




Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

7 comments:

Trish said...

Fabulous tutorial! Great job Trena!!!! :D I love bookmarks!

Stef H said...

you rock, trena!

barbara macaskill said...

Great! Now I have 3 more of Sheena's stamp sets that I MUST HAVE! These are magical and gorgeous! TFS!

Amy E said...

These are GORGEOUS Trena!!!!

Kathi said...

Fabulous! What great gifts.

Thanks for showing us how you created them.

I now must have that fairy set!

ScrapBazaar said...

Very good tutorial! I like to have one bookmarks like that. I love to read real books.

Grandma Jean said...

Wonderful bookmarks and great tutorial. Thanks so much.