Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Christmas in July Inspiration...


Design team member Stephanie Severin shared a wonderful tutorial on her blog yesterday celebrating  Christmas in July.  She used several of the new products coming out & we are thrilled to share her gorgeous project with all of you.

From Stephanie's blog...

I've got a sneak peak of the new holiday embossing folders that will be available soon.  They are 6x6 folders (which still fit through your Cuttlebug), so they cover the entire card front. I love embossing, and I've learned a few tricks that I thought I would share.  First, Core'dinations cardstock is so fun to use ... the colored core makes embossing magical.  This is Key Lime from the Chocolate Box Collection that has been embossed with the new O' Christmas Tree folder & sanded.
  EmbossTut1
One embossing trick I always use is baby wipes ... I use them to clean-up the embossing dust.  You don't want it to be too wet (so that it dampens your cardstock), so I usually set one out before I begin, so it dries a bit.  Here's a shot after removing most of the dust ... you can see the dirty wipe ... and how the green pops much more when the dust is gone.
  EmbossTut2
Another trick of mine is I always work on an 11 x 17 piece of scrap paper.  I was able to purchase a couple of damaged reams of paper from my local paper company ... and after they get dusty and dirty, they can just be disposed (or flipped over) and then replaced with a clean sheet of paper (you can see some stray test stamping & paper scraps at the top).
  Embosstut3
Once the dust is gone, it's easier to see what areas need more sanding ... another trick is using a foam sanding block that I get at the hardware store.  It gives me good solid contact with the paper over a wide area.  I also keep a few cheap foam sanding nail files in my crating tool box to finish any detailed areas.

Embosstut4
After I was satisfied with my sanding, I took the paper outside (because of fumes and potential stray glitter) and gave it a good spray with Iridescent Spray & Sparkle, a satin varnish with ultra fine glitter.  Love how the spray brightened up the green on my embossed surface and gave it fabulous sparkle.  It comes in multiple colors ... can't wait to try some of the others. Here's a view of the finished card design ... I flipped over the Core'dinations paper for a perfectly coordinated frame and decorated my tree with light green pearls.

  Emb1-tilt
Love how this card looks so complicated ... but was really very easy & quick to put together.

EMB1wm
Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

3 comments:

Gisela said...

Wow,I really love this card, especially since there is so little work involved,thanks for sharing

PamSpradlin said...

Love it! and I am going to try this.

rosenrobrt said...

Great Tips to make using Coredinations card stock look fantastic.