Friday, August 16, 2013

Tag Tutorial and Birthday Specials!

Happy Birthday Crafter's Companion U.S.A.!  Crafter's Companion U.S.A. is celebrating it's 6th birthday this week!  They are offering up some BRAND NEW Stamp-It Australia Christmas stamps with purchase too.   Head on over to the website to see all of the wonderful specials for our Birthday Week Celebration!

One of our designers, Denise Coulter, made this fabulous tag using some gorgeous unconventional Christmas colors.   Take a peek and see what she came up with...

The Snowflake from Stamp-It Australia is absolutely drool worthy, so I  decided to make this oversized Christmas tag with it.



 I began adding Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to my over sized tag in random areas.


Next, I added Tattered Rose Distress Ink, gently covering most of the white spaces.


For a little contrast, I added Wild Honey Distress Ink in a few place.  I made sure to ink around the edges as well.


To make the tag just a little bit brighter, I next applied Festive Berries Distress Ink around the Worn Lipstick Distress Ink and a few of the edges.  The wonderful thing about Distress Ink is that the colors blend well together.


For the top layer of my tag, I stamped The Snowflake image onto acetate using Staz-On Jet Black Ink.



I centered my acetate image in the center of my tag and applied a thin line of Collall Tacky-Glue along the bottom and top of my tag.  (Ribbon will eventually cover both these areas.)  Cut off all the excess acetate around the tag with scissors.


Next, I added three small black brads to the center of the smaller snowflakes.  This will also help keep the acetate attached to the tag.  I added a thin layer of glue to two ribbons and attached them to the bottom, being careful not to smear the glue when attaching.  


Once the ribbon has been securely attached to your tag, you will pick out some more ribbons for the top of the tag.  To create the hole in the acetate at the top, simply use a hold punch.  I added three ribbons I had in my stash by folding them in half and pushing them through the front of the tag as shown below.


Once you have made your loop, pull all loose ends through the loop and pull tight. 


Once your tag is complete, you can use it to decorate a package, add it to a scrapbook layout, or use it on a holiday card.  You could also create a loop around the top, instead of loose ribbons and give it away as an ornament.  In person, the acetate on the tag captures light beautiful and is quiet shiny.  It's a little tougher showing that in a photo, however.   You can see the shine a little better in the picture below.  (Keep in mind the reflection of the light in this picture is hiding all the beautiful colors you would normally see.)



Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

2 comments:

Cheryl Wright said...

This is really beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

Stacy H-W said...

Gorgeous tag!!