Monday, September 30, 2013

Fabric Embossing Tutorial

Several weeks ago, Stephanie Severin posted this fabulous tutorial on her blog and we couldn't wait to share it with you!

From Stephanie's blog...

A few weeks ago during my Quilt Walk, I bought a package of lovely Moda Fabric Squares by Basic Grey.

Q2

When I read the instructions on my new Collall Tacky Glue, I saw that its uses included textiles, and the instructions said it would dry transparent & remain flexible, so I decided to give it a try.  I used my fingers to adhere a thin coating of the glue on a piece of thick watercolor paper and then adhered my fabric.  There was very little *bleed* through and it dried perfectly.
Fabrictut1

Since my fingers were already gluey, I tried a second piece for good measure.
Fabrictut2

For several days of thinking about what I wanted to do with my now dry and flexible fabric squares.  I decided to try a little stamping.  I started with the texty butterfly stamp from Birds & Butterflies and Teal Zeal Memento ink.
FabTut3
You can see at the top left, that my spacing was a little off (I pretty much eye-ball everything I do), so I added the bird from the same set to help fill in the space.
Fabtut4
I'd like to say I had a plan at this point, but I really didn't.  I just like to try things as I go and let creativity take me wherever it wants.  The next step was to do something with my second fabric square ... I decided to see if it would emboss ... and turns out it embossed beautifully.
Fabtut5
The embossing is a gorgeous 8" folder from Crafter's Companion called Regency Swirls ... only one problem, I don't have an 8" embossing machine.  So I did what any ingenious crafter would do, I Used my Tim Holtz Serrated Craft Scissers to trim one inch off each side, so it would fit through my 6" Cuttlebug opening ... and I still have the two beautiful swirls right down the middle.
Embfolder

Turns out my Teal Zeal ink didn't quite match my teal solid fabric, so I added a bit of the ink to the embossed texture.
Fabtut6
The sponged ink worked great to coordinate my two pieces, but unfortunately, the ink kept rubbing off on my hands.  I went searching for a sealing spray, but instead decided to see how my new Gold Sray & Sparkle Glitter Varnish would work ... the answer, fabulously.
Fabtut7
I held the sold piece closer to the spray bottle to get more solid glitter coverage (and better sealing).  I held the stamped piece a bit further away from the spray to get a lighter glittery effect.
After drying overnight I used strong double-sided tape to assemble my fabric panels.  I used a scrap of my stamped panel to stamp the Home sentiment in Rich Cocoa Memento Ink (trimmed from the Home Sweet Home sentiment from Jingle Bells).
Fabric2wm
I love how my inky fabric play turned into this wonderful finished project.
Fabric1wm
I will certainly be using my Collall Tacky Glue to play with more of my fabric stash.

Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

4 comments:

Janet Nelson said...

This is why we non-creative thinkers appreciate peeps like you. This is amazing and I will save this for a future try. Where did you purchase the gold spray?

SmilynStef said...

You can get the spray at Crafter's Companion:

Spray & Sparkle Glitter Varnish

May Carlin said...

luv it...thanks for shareing :-0 x

barbara macaskill said...

Oh Mother Goose! This is awesome!!! Going to have to give this a try! I have an idea forming in my head as I am typing this! I am going to have to remember to keep my pen and notebook close tonight so that when I wake up at 3 am with more ideas I can write them down! Thanks for starting my inspiration train! Can't wait to see if it is a Yay or Nay when it is all done! LOL