Saturday, September 28, 2013

Gift Card Set Tutorial

A few weeks ago, Denise made this wonderful set of cards that we're excited to share with you!

From Denise's blog...

With school now in session, it's a great time to start thinking about teacher gifts.  For one of my kids' teachers, I thought a thank you card set would be nice.  Teachers receive so many gifts over the course of a school year, I'm sure they go through thank you cards rather quickly. 


For the main image of your cards, cut six pieces of Luxury Centura Pearl paper to 4 inch by 4 inch squares. This paper is so shimmery and really thick which makes it perfect for cards and envelopes. Using your Rock-A-Blocks, stamp the large flower of the Stamp-It Decorative Swirls stamp with your tinted embossing stamp pad in the center of your 4 x 4 inch paper.  Using a tinted embossing stamp pad allows you to see the image once it is stamped on your paper.  For each card you will need two shades of embossing powder for each color family.  Sprinkle the darker of your embossing powder over the center and back edges of your image, as shown below.  Shake the excess powder off the back of the image so it doesn't stick to the front of the flower.


Next, sprinkle your lighter color of embossing powder over the rest of your stamped flower.  Shake off the excess embossing powder towards the front of the flower this time, so you aren't covering your darker powder.   Using a small paintbrush, brush off any stubborn embossing powder off your card.  Make sure not to brush over your image.



Now you can emboss your tone-toned image with your heat tool.  Your image should look a little something like this (colors will vary).



Once you have done this several times with various colors (or even the same two colors if you prefer), you will mat the flowers onto a matching 4 1/4 inch by 4 1/4 inch colored card stock.


For the sentiment, I stamped the Thank You sentiment from the Popcorn the Bear Someone Special stamp with Jet Black Staz-On Ink onto a 3/4 inch by 3 inch strip of Luxury Centura Pearl paper.   I matted each stamped sentiment with the same colored card stock I used for the flowers.   Each colored mat measures 1 inch by 3 1/4 inch, as shown below.


Now it's time to add your embossed flowers and sentiment to your card.  To create the card base, simply fold a 10 1/2 inch by 5 1/4 inch of Luxury Centura Pearl paper in half.  Then adhere your matted flowers to the center of your cards with Collall's Tacky Glue.


To create a bit of a 3-D effect and bring focus to the Thank You sentiment, apply Double Sided Adhesive Foam Circles to the back of the matted sentiments.  In the second one, you can see how I used the negative part of the foam adhesive.  You don't want it to go to waste :)


Here is a close up of a completed card.


To create envelopes for my cards, I used my Envelobox Creator and Luxury Centura Pearl paper.   I started with an 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch square piece of paper.  Using only Position 1, I scored along line G.


Once I scored line G along all four corners of my paper, I cut out the small notch where two score lines overlapped.


Once the envelope was assembled, I finished it by adding Envelope Gum to the top edge of it.  When the Envelope Gum has dried, you can just lick it to reactivate the glue and it will seal the top flap to the bottom of the envelope; just like any envelope you buy in the store.  You don't need a lot, just a thin coat.


For the last step, I followed the instructions on my Boxer Board to create a gift box for my gift card set. Like the cards, the teacher may want to give away the box as well.  So I did not personalize it in any way.  (Box create with 12 x12 paper and scored at the 2 inch line for the Box base and lid.  It is large enough that you can include all cards, envelopes, and two big sheets of tissue paper.)



I hope you've found my tutorial helpful.  If you create a card set using this technique, please let me know so I can stop by and admire it.

Have a wonderful day!

Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

2 comments:

Janet Nelson said...

Thanks for the tut. I am embossed-challenged. I need to keep practicing. I don't seem to have the 'feel' of how long to keep the heat tool over the image.

Stacy H-W said...

Fantastic project!! They really turned out so lovely!