Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Caring Hearts Card Drive



Hey, everyone! It's Christy here to talk to you about The Caring Hearts Card Drive, a cause that is very close to my heart. My beloved great-grandmother, Vera, spent the final years of her life in a local nursing home, and it was my delight and pleasure to visit her there at least once a week. Though she was in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's and sometimes mistook me for another relative or did not know me at all, I cherished those times with her. I took her for walks in her wheelchair, helped her play bingo in the activity center, and told her endless stories of our family's history. During those visits, I would also stop and spend a little time on my way in and out with the other residents at the facility. They were often times so lonely, or withdrawn, or so happy to exchange a few pleasantries with a stranger. Sometimes they mistook me for their own relatives, but I just played along, giving them hugs, or a pat on the back, and conveying love vicariously on their family's behalf. 

After my great-grandmother passed away in 2003, and I got busy with my own little ones, I stopped visiting the nursing home. But when I heard about The Caring Hearts Card Drive, hosted by Vera Yates of Ling's Design Studio, I just knew I had to participate. For the past three years my boys and I have been making handmade Christmas cards every November to send to The Caring Hearts Card Drive, which collects them for the elderly residents of nursing homes.

 This year is even more special, because Crafter's Companion is actually one of the sponsors of The Caring Hearts Card Drive. Oh, did I forget to mention there's prizes? LOTS of prizes?   There will be two prize packages from Crafter's Companion US a $20 Gift Certificate and 2 Spectrum Noir 6-marker sets (winner's choice).

 While that is definitely an added incentive, I'd get involved even without them, because I remember walking past the residents rooms and seeing their little displays of family photos and cards that they saved. I know how much a cheerful handmade card can mean to them, especially at this time of year when loved ones may be far away and unable to visit. The other reason that this year is so special is because I actually was able to get in contact with that very nursing home where my great-grandmother lived and thanks to Vera, they will be on the receiving end of a box of cards from all over the country, and even the world. If that wasn't enough, my family and I will get to take the cards to the nursing home and pass out the cards in person. I'm super excited that I get to do this, and I'm grateful to Crafter's Companion and all the other sponsors who help get people involved. I hope that you'll consider making an extra couple of Christmas or Holiday cards this month and send them off to The Caring Hearts Card Drive. Who knows, I might even get to pass out YOUR CARD! Please see the blog link for more details. Hugs and holiday cheer, 
Christy

Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

4 comments:

Papercrafting Princess said...

What a sweet gesture! Your coloring is amazing.

Sue Shankland said...

Where do we send them? What are the requirements? Thanks

Helen Strahan said...

I did not see a Blog Link either to get the details on where to send. Can you give us the details.

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Christy, your card is gorgeous! Thank you so much for all your support. It's great to learn I share the same name with you great-grandmother. <3