Saturday, December 6, 2014

Crafter's Christmas Wishes Day #2: A Christmas Tutorial

Welcome back to the Crafter's Christmas Wishes Celebration.  Today we thought we would share a beautiful tutorial that Trena Brannon put together for us using the Sheena Douglass set that came out earlier this year called Aspects - Country Christmas.  Here is her lovely card... 



She started with the background by stamping the trees onto  Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock and applied color with an Ink Sweeper and  Distress Ink Pads - Dusty Concord, Tumbled Glass.  She used a homemade stencil (made with a circle scalloped die) and Ink Sweeper to add some clouds.  And used a piece of torn paper to create the subtle snow lines. TIPs:  (1) To apply the base color, pull color from the edges to the center, in horizontal strokes with a light touch. Do not fill in color completely - leave white spaces. For the clouds, start on the template and pull color onto your background for a blended effect.

Next, she colored the deer with Spectrum Noir Blendable Colored Pencils - 088, 089, 116. She lightly colored with 116 and 088 first.  Using 089 in the dark areas of the images - Sheena's detailed drawing help to identify the dark areas.



Next, she used 088 to smooth out the color, blending the light areas into the dark. She colored all the deer and created subtle snow lines.


She cut out the deer, using a craft knife to cut the area in between their legs so the trees would show through and adhered them to the tree background.  She gave them some dots and white tails with a white paint pen. The sentiment is also from the set. 


We'll be back on Monday with more Crafter's Christmas Wishes fun!

Don't forget to enter the drawing for a $20 Crafter's Companion Gift Certificate from yesterday's blog post.

Make sure you keep checking here on our blog, visit our Facebook pagefollow us on Twitter and on Pinterest for more sneak peeks, inspirations, and news!

18 comments:

Donna Dacy said...

I love this card. The background is beautiful and the coloring on the deer is amazing. Have not tried the pencils yet. Thanks for sharing

Eva said...

Wow, gorgeous card! I really love the colours of the sky/clouds.

Janice B said...

Very nicely done! I liked the instructions on using the ink sweeper with a template to get the clouds.

barbara macaskill said...

What a gorgeous scene Sheena has created!! LOVE the deer and trees! TFS!

barbara macaskill said...

What a gorgeous scene Sheena has created!! I have this stamp set and LOVELOVELOVE it!
I would love to win a Cut n Boss so that I don't have to wait 6-8 weeks to die cut. I just had major surgery and have 3 3-4" incisions on my back and a 4" incision on my stomach. I have been told that I can't lift, twist, bend, turn, put my arms over my head or go on bumpy rides for at least 6-8 weeks. They also told me NO DIC CUTTING because of the muscles that I would be using would screw up the healing process. I am heartbroken that I can't die cut for so long as that is one of my major tools I use when creating! UGH!! Would LOVELOVELOVE to win one of these amazing machines so I can get back to creating!! Thanks you for the chance to dream and maybe even get back to doing what I love sooner than expected!

Irene Grau said...

Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous card! The background is fantastic and the coloring beautiful. Simply perfect.

barbara macaskill said...

Trena~ Please accept my apologies! It just sank in that YOU created this gorgeous card USING Sheena's stamp set! So sorry that my brain had a cramp and couldn't comprehend what it was reading!! I LOVELOVELOVE this card!

SHartl said...

Wow, I love everything about this card from the background and clouds to the beautifully colored deer! This would be an awesome stamp set to own!

postalorphan said...

Absolutely beautiful card - thanks for the how-to on the coloring.

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

I love that background. What a wonderful technique. TFS

Ann said...

Beautiful image, card and lovely coloring. It is so fun seeing the colored pencils in action. I need to add them to my wish list.

Heather Thompson said...

beautiful!!

SmokieBlueRose said...

I will keep trying to get that look. Mine is not presentable. Your's is so beautiful.

Yoshira cricutalltime said...

Gorgeous card! ! Love how the clouds turned out with a scalloped circle!! Love that deer stamp and trees!! Gorgeous winter scene!!

Charity Chamberlain said...

Absolutely stunning and gorgeous card! LOVE!

Karenladd said...

Wow what a beautiful card and wonderful technique!

Sharon said...

Gorgeous card - I need to practice more with my pencils

Michele Smith said...

I would never used purple as the sky focal color....until now. This is breathtaking! I love the trees, the deer are colored so realistically and I love the sentiment placement. So very pretty. Great job Trena!!